From:
George Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:07:34 -0400
Most important, does the visitor believe s/he receives value for their
money? People don't mind paying money so long as they feel they received a
valuable experience in exchange for their hard earned dollars.

I'll never forget the first museum I worked for. It was a coal mining museum
adjacent to a tour through an actual coal mine (separate entity). Visitors
frequently came to us while waiting for their tour to start. I can't tell
you how many of them came in, looked around and asked me, "Is this museum
worth it?" I certainly felt it was – heck, I thought it was a steal at only
$3.50 for adults. But museums are in a difficult position when it comes to
justifying value. There are so many different museums, different subjects,
different levels of quality, collections, etc. Movies are easy. Chances are
your friends, co-workers, or Siskel and Ebert already told you what to
expect. You go to either confirm or reject their critiques. But most
communities don't have an "exhibit review" section in the newspaper
(unfortunately). Troubled economic times makes families stretch the ratio
between value and money even further. The visitor has a harder time prying
their hard earned money from the wallet for something they're not sure
about.

George Garner
Director of Exhibitions
Northern Indiana Center for History
www.centerforhistory.org // (574) 235-9664

--------
Celebrate Historic Gardens Month in August at the Center for History by
strolling the beautiful grounds surrounding the Oliver mansion.