From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:04:33 -0400
At 12:05 PM 10/25/96 -0700, you wrote:

>I am presently trying to
>locate a good, up-to-date book that covers computer methods for museums. If
>anyone could recommend any such books, I would appreciate it. Also, if
>anyone noticed any particularly gaping voids on this topic, please let me
>know. We are currently trying to commission a book on the topic and would be
>interested in knowing what needs,if any, exist. Thanks!
>Joanna Ebenstein
>Mitch Allen
>Publisher
>AltaMira Press

In general I'd say that the field is so fluid and is progressing at such a
rapid pace that a "book" on computers in museums is bound to be out of date
before it sees the light of day.  That is what has happened to previous
efforts in this area.  ...and accordingly, even if such a book does speak to
current issues, there is little chance that future sales will warrant the
up-front costs of production.  Most of the most important literature comes
by way of journal articles, symposia and conferences.

Nonetheless you may wish to look up the Museum Computer Network in the USA
(write to [log in to unmask]) or the Museum Documentation Association (MDA) in
the UK.  MCN publishes a journal (Spectra) that is of interest.  Other
publishers in this field include David Bearman, whose journal Archives and
Museum Informatics is widely respected.  You may consider putting out a book
of essays on significant topics -- that has been done befoe -- instead of
attempting to survey the arena.

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant
P.O. Box 93, Larchmont, NY  10538