From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:06:03 -0400
I'm a former educator, specializing in curriculum design. Anything you can
do to create hands-on learning is fabulous. Understanding how kids are being
taught today can help too. The current buzz is teamwork and cooperative
learning groups, so you can easily create small group activities. Just a
simple brain-storming session on importance of water would create enough
"buy-in" to carry the event. Use poster sized sticky pads, one sheet per
group and have the small groups list what the early settlers would have
needed water for. Then they can go back and put them in order of necessity.
A spin-off might be to have them come up with ways to find water...although
this is the tougher question. (The first is simply recall of facts, the
second requires synthesis of concepts...tougher mentally.) Once the
brain-storming is complete, have a "gallery walk" - invite the kids to walk
around the room and read the posters from the other groups. This way you
don't have to read them aloud, and the kids get to move.

From there you can certainly expect them to sit still and actively listen to
a mini-lecture on the settlement of the west.

Archaeology - I'm fond of the "salted dig" activity. I use a small plot of
our land to create a "dig" site to interpret the Susquehanna & Tidewater
Canal. I salt the site with "artifacts" that the kids can dig up. These
artifacts should be "clues" to the site. On our site, I include lumps of
coal, pottery shards, chicken bones, coins, mule shoe, leather bits, and
iron tools for the kids to dig up. The kids get a brief introduction to
excavation technique, and then we turn them loose with trowels, brushes,
etc. As each "artifact" is uncovered it provides a natural opening for
information related to that artifact. Example: the lump of coal - we talk
about where anthracite coal is found...there just happens to be a map
nearby, and how it got to the lock house grounds. Hmmm...the canal boats
carried cargo from central Pennsylvania. (I also have copies of pages from
the canal ledger that show the large number of coal shipments.)

Depending on your site you can do this same activity in a small sand-box, or
a small child's wading pool.

The preparation is:
1. Gather a kit to take to the "dig" containing supporting documents,
images, etc. to help interpret the artifacts. (I try to never BE the
authority, rather to let the primary documents speak to the kids.) Gathering
this kit should be a one-time task...you can use it over and over.
2. Gather the "artifacts". Again, this is a one time only task. The
artifacts that I use are in fact real, but they don't have to be. (Do you
have any idea how much garbage/trash people threw in the canals? We have
excavated all that stuff!)
3. Salt the dig. Before each group you have to re-bury the artifacts. I
don't go down more than a few inches.
4. Clean-up - if you're outside digging in real dirt, make sure you bring
baby-wipes for hand cleaning. We're fortunate to have a public restroom
building available. (The teachers will love you for helping to de-grubbify
the kiddies before sending them back onto the school bus...or heaven
forbid...back into the museum!

Becky Fitzgerald

P.S. John, I'm a Gemini too...appreciated the horoscope! :-)