From:
Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 13:44:19 -0400
Oh, my trusty colleagues!

I did a new searches in the archives and I couldn't find anything specific on this topic.  Sorry for the cross-posting.

We will be refinishing wood floors in one of our galleries in about two weeks (mid Nov).  We will be installing an exhibit in that space in February 2014.   I want to point the contractor in the right direction for a varnish for the floor.  I know I need to recommend a low or no VOC with no odor or off-gassing.  Is there anything else I should be concerned about.  Should they apply a wax finish instead?

Also as with all exhibit spaces, high traffic and with the movement of exhibit furniture the floors need to hold up to the "abuse" of such activities, so I want to make sure whatever they use is not only "friendly" to the objects but strong as well.

Thank-you for your help.

Shannon Lindridge, Registrar
Roberson Museum and Science Center
Binghamton, New York