From:
Tim Lupin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:49:34 -0600
Andrew,
I'm fascinated by your idea.  I read the prospectus on your audio products on the web.  These too sound interesting.  I visited the music museum in Vienna several years ago where they had an infrared audio wand system that sent a microwave audio program as you walked around the room.  The unfortunate part about it was that it was only in German and it was a continuous loop, so you often picked up in the middle or end of the program.  Your audio program would solve this.  We would probably be interested in this once it is perfected.  Please send us info.

Regarding your questions, I would like to see multiple languages, easy docking and downloading to change program in each unit, and enough memory to offer the public a chance to look at what isn't on display.  Our problem is space and conservation concerns associated with displaying valuable objects for a long period of time.  We have begun putting more objects on our web site to alleviate this, but it would be nice to be able to have a link at each artifact allowing the visitor to see multiple examples.  I wonder if it might be wiser to have individual units for each gallery or room.  This would cut down on maintenance ( no units accidentally dropped in a sink of water or toilet).  And also allow for some type of security control so that no unit could leave its designated room without an alarm (inventory control).  With individual units in each gallery, I could see museums spending $200-$500 a unit.  In our case, we'd need a min. of 40 units.  We would have to be assured that they would work for us for ten years and could be upgradable.
Please check out our site at : <http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/museum/lsmnet3.htm>