From:
"Mark L. Shanks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:47:36 GMT
Kim:

One of the best junior interpreter programs I've ever seen was at the
Museum of American Frontier Culture in Staunton, VA.  At the ALHFAM
regional held on site a year and a half ago, not only did they hold a
session on this remarkable program.....but it's efficiency was demonstrated
in the most remarkable way.  With the weather at the start of the
conference being a moderate blizzard (with the wind chill plunging to well
below zero), many of the museum's professional staff could not reach the
site to open and interpret the 4 historic farms that make up the museum's
key interpretive areas for the conference attendees.  (....those who
weren't stopped by the weather themselves)

Two local junior interpretation volunteers (13-15 year-olds?) who could
reach the museum (ah, for parents w/ 4x4's) ended up opening the American
farm house, building & maintaining the fire, giving interpreted tours of
the building, answering questions from the visiting professionals, and
teaching various period crafts and games for almost 3 hours before the
first adult supervisor arrived.  The two handled the difficult situation
with such grace and aplomb that I can't imagine ANY museum which wouldn't
be proud to have them on staff...  I know I wanted to kidnap them for my
site!

I know that among the keys to MAFC's program are high selection standards
for the few chosen for the program, serious training and commitment
requirements, and on-going individualized mentoring throughout the program.
 But I'd suggest writing or calling them to get full details.

--
Mark L. Shanks
"Clio Eternum, Vita Brevis"