From:
Marc Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 09:48:09 -0700
Having recently been employed by a small to mid-size (staff of 10) history
museum outside Kansas City in an area where there are very active CVBs and
COCs, I'd comment that museums other than the large ones need to market
themselves to the tourism industry before the industry will market the
museum to the public.  When we identified out-of-town visitors as a target
in long-range planning, we began to meet with the CVB folks to see what they
could do for us and what we could do for them.   After our marketing effort
(look at the swell things we have to offer), they began to work on our
behalf, including us in brochures, etc.  Although this has overall been  a
successful relationship, we still do run into some conflict because they are
looking for flashy attractions and we're a professional institution, so some
of the things they'd really like are outside the realm of museumdom or cost
prohibitive.

Cheryl Musch