Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:20:56 -0400
Dear Kathy:
First, if you haven't already done this, I'd suggest you join the Association
of Youth Museums. They publish a directory which lists a lot of statistical
information about children's museums and you can pick up a lot of information
if you read through it.
AYM
1775 K Street NW
Suite 595
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 466-4144
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Second, AYM is publishing a resource guide for start-up children's museums
this fall and you may wish to purchase a copy. It will contain articles on
many of the subjects you ask questions about in your e-mail.
Third, briefly, a few of the children's museums I know of which share space
are:
1) Albuquerque Children's Museum. Opened independently but recently merged
with that city's science center. Call Lisa Gorence for information (505)
842-1537.
2) The Family Museum of Arts and Sciences. Bettendorf, Iowa. Began as a
regional history museum, then became a children's museum, recently merged
with the library and is part of the city now. Call director Tracy Kuehl (319
344-4106.
3) Arizona Museum for Youth. Opened as private nonprofit but later became
part of the city of Mesa. Call director Barbara Meyerson (602) 644-2468.
4) Children's Museum of Virginia. Began as a private nonprofit but later
transferred operations to the city of Portsmouth. They are part of the city's
department of museums which includes 3 other museums. Call M.E. Burnell (804)
393-8983.
I think all of the above examples still term temselves "public/private
partnerships" which means they all do some kind of fund raising and are not
totally depenedent on funding from city government, etc.
Good Luck.
Mary Maher, editor
Hand to Hand, a quarterly publication of the Association of Youth Museums and
the AYM Start-Up Guide.