From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:52:45 -0800
Thanks, Jay.  A very important point about the way we look at the texts.
It's received mixed reviews artistically and becomes a fascinating way to
look at the way religious art has changed (thinned?  eroded?  shifted?) over
the last five hundred years or more, reflecting the doctrines of
Protestantism, the options of secular humanism, and just plain old
contemporary atheism.  I'm something of a heathen, myself, but I find myself
spellbound by much of the religious art of the (far) past and fascinated by
the way people still try to find a material form for the ideas in this very
abstract age.

It is a gorgeous thing, by the way.  I'd love to see one of the
hand-printed, hand-sewn copies eventually.

Jolly 2001 to you all.

Ellen Cutler
Aberdeen, MD