From:
Wagner-Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:53:01 -0600
I recently had a conversation on this very topic with my 83-year-old
grandmother. She has always been an avid museum-goer and is well-read on
just about every topic. But she is quickly getting discouraged by her
decreasing physical mobility. We talked about the opportunities that
on-line museums offer for people in her situation, but she was adamant
about the fact that, "the Internet and its component parts have made the
entire senior population feel disenfranchised. They do not care that we
want to learn anything new. They have written us off as an unworthy part
of their target audience."

I have been mulling this dilemma over ever since and
have come up with very little. It may be a problem that is out of the
museum field's reach, but it is definitely something to think about in the
creation of future exhibits and museum technology for a broad audience.
Does anyone know of any resesarch being done in this area? Generally
speaking, has anyone ever heard of Web literacy directed at seniors?

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, radiah harper wrote:

> According to my 75 year old art collecting, museum  going, world traveler
> mother, seniors learn "slowly". "Repeat and repeat," she said. And there you
> have it.
>

> >From: Judy Koke <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Seniors : Lifelong learning and museums
> >Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:19:54 -0600
> >
> >Here at the Denver Museum of Natural History we're starting a research
> >project to investigate the needs of the growing senior population. While
> >the physical needs seem well documented, I'm having trouble finding
> >information on the topic and delivery preferences, how seniors prefer to
> >learn - the cognitive side.
> >I realize that when we say senior  we're covering a broad category of
> >physical activity level and individual interests, etc. I've contacted AARP,
> >Elderhostel and U3A - but was wondering if there are other suggestions
> >about where to locate information.  Has anyone done any studies on senior
> >learning in museums?
> >What should we be doing to better serve this audience?
> >
> >Judy Koke
> >Exhibit Evaluator
> >Denver Museum of Natural History
> >(303) 370-6341
> >
> >========================================================Important
> >Subscriber Information:
> >
> >The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> >http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed
> >information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail
> >message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read
> >"help" (without the quotes).
> >
> >If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to
> >[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> >Museum-L" (without the quotes).

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).