From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:57:26 -0800
Or... they could be laid across the table beneath facing plates, as runners.
Or... they could be tri-folded as place mats and turned as they soiled. I'm
thinking the way napkins were used then may not be the way napkins are used
now. It may well have been in a Blackadder episode, but nudging my visual
recall is a portly gentleman tucking or buttoning a floor-mat sized napkin
over his collar, protecting every garment that covered his 3-X belly. I'll
be watching this list for the real answer.

Oh Indigo, we've got to get you out of the 21st century for a moment. More
cleaning options now? My Irish ancestors were the cleaning options then!
Every woman worth her china setting had two or three Irish girls in the
laundry. Bet you don't wear starched white collars out to your shoulders
each day!

Micki