From:
Helen Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:30:59 -0700
At 12:12 PM 6/18/96, CMiller856 wrote:
>Hello
>
>I know this is a bit off topic but...
>I am vacationing in Victoria BC this summer and would love some rec.
>regarding museums not to be missed.  I've checked out a few guidebooks but
>would appreciate any suggestions from those who live there or have
>visited.
>please reply off-list to my email
>thanks
>Cheryl Miller

This is a question right up my alley. I am a native Victorian and for the
last three summers have worked at Heritage Victoria's information kiosk
located in our inner harbour.

Our sole purpose it to direct tourists (and locals alike) to heritage sites
rather than the tacky tourist traps which we all detest.

Museums which you should not miss are

The Royal British Columbia Museum
The Maritime Museum
Craigdarroch Castle
Carr House, birthplace of artist and writer Emily Carr
Helmcken House, home of pioneer doctor who worked for the Hudson Bay Company
Craigflower Manor and Schoolhouse, Hudson Bay Company official farm house
Point Ellice House - the most intact collection of Victoriana anywhere. The
O'Reilly family never threw out anything. The garden was able to be
recreated using the old seed catalogues which were notated with planting
dates, etc.

Depending on your interests, there are other museums and galleries which
might appeal to you.

We produce a brochure which gives details of admission fees (where
applicable), hours of opening, etc.

If anyone would like one, send me your postal address,and I will send it to you.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Helen Edwards,  Victoria, B.C. Canada
Owner, Bed Buddies - Toy makers
Past-president, Hallmark Society...Director, Heritage Society of B.C.
e-mail: [log in to unmask]