From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 18:06:14 -0500
On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Peter Gale wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing any comments that members may have
> that would characterize the similarities and differences that may
> exist between a Strategic Plan and a Master Plan, and their
> possible relationships.

I would say that a Strategic Plan is about broad goals and specific
objectives.  A Master Plan is about implementing those goals and
objectives.  A Strategic Plan says "this is what we want to
achieve."  A Master Plan says "This is what we are going to do."

We do architectural Master Planning for museums and many of these
plans spring from a Strategic Planning process.  With a good
Strategic Plan, the museum knows what it wants (more temporary
exhibitions, better collections storage conditions, more programs for
young children, a more distinctive identity, etc.).  We can then help
look at multiple alternatives to help find the best way to achieve
those goals.

Different kinds of Master Plans are called for depending on the
museum's goals and objectives. If the museum has broadened its
mission, an Interpretive Master Plan may be needed.  If a goal is to
better communicate with visitors, an Exhibit Master Plan may be
called for. An expansion, renovation, or relocation will call for an
Architectural Master Plan.

For a major project, we will frequently work with a Master Planning
team consisting of an exhibit design firm and economic, marketing,
and fundraising consultants to develop a Comprehensive Master Plan
that integrates all of the different disciplines into a cohesive
overall plan.  This kind of plan is necessary for a new museum or for
one undergoing significant expansion or a relocation.

A Strategic Plan isn't always necessary in order to undertake Master
Planning.  Many times the objectives are very clear and a Master Plan
is needed simply to look at alternatives and find the best solutions.

A Master Plan is almost always needed before starting a major
fundraising campaign.  People give money when the can see concretely
what you are planning to do with it.