From:
"Greenberg, Ted" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:17:51 -0700
I would like to know if any RC members have experience with OCR scanning of
printed documents.  We are thinking of scanning the text from our collection
catalogues as a simple way of entering huge amounts of data into our CMS
system (Multi-MIMSY).  Data would include bibliographies, exhibition
histories, descriptions, provenance and essays for each artwork in a
particular collection, eg, Indian painting collection, etc.

Specifically, I would like to know if you outsourced the scanning?.  If so,
what was the average cost per page, or pricing structure?  Who did you use?
Or, did you purchase scanning equipment and perform the scanning internally?
What sort of unexpected costs or delays were encountered, if any?

Please respond offline to Renee Montgomery, Asst. Director, Collections
Management, Los Angeles County Museum of Art
email:  [log in to unmask]; phone:  323 857-6059