From:
Fruit Bug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:18:10 EST
I think the original poster (sorry, forgot who) wants to take pride in her
institution and, as a board member, is taking steps to get there. She came to
us for help, not a lecture.

In my opinion, it's okay for the poster to vent some frustration on the list.
I picture this listserv as sort of a virtual watercooler, sharing the ups and
downs of the profession, and some days are better than others. Just because
the poster talks like that to us doesn't mean that's how she comes across in
other venues. She came to us for help with problems; that's why she described
the problems and not the positives. I see nothing wrong with that.

As a museum volunteer, historical writer, and someone who has an eye on a
possible future career in museum work, I'm grateful to hear of the
frustrations as well as the rewards of day-to-day museum work. I don't want a
rosy portrayal; I want a real one.

FWIW,
Jenny Leo

<< Your institution will be better served when you drop the smart-aleck
 tone.  You seem quite good at recognizing the weaknesses of your museum but
 what is good about it?  Why did you become a Board member - for the line on
 your resume? It is your responsibility to enhance the public image of your
 museum.  Broadcasting your museum's foibles in an international listserv or
 in your thesis won't do your public image any good.  A true professional
 takes pride in association with his/her organization.  If you don't feel
 that pride, get out. >>