From:
Katherine Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:10:39 -0500
This may stem from the fact that the term teach has come to be synomous with rote learning in many circles.  Educators today, especially in the museum field strive to enable learning with a focus on the process rather than feeding information.  In fact guided discovery is our chosen
method..  This includes the development of higher order thinking skills.

I think expanding the definition of teaching and what we do is a good thing, and perhaps a neccesary thing when we try to prove our worth.  If museums just do what schools do, what makes them special.

In fact, even in the University system, we have been struggling with the traditional definition of teaching i.e. lectures, and focusing on retraining our faculty to create active learners with skills that they can use for a life time.

Frankly, I like being though of as a more enlightened "educator" and being part of a learning team created by a mentor and students.

Kathrine Schlageck
Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University