From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 1994 18:58:03 -0500
Gentle readers:

The New York University Museum Studies Association is planning a
career day for students in the program in the near future. We plan
to invite alums and other museum professionals to talk to us about
what they look for when hiring people and, at the same time, give
them a chance to look us, and the department, over. The students
come from a variety of disciplines including science, art, history,
Latin American and Caribbean Studies, Liberal Studies, theater, Near
Eastern Studies among others. Museum Studies is a certificate program
so the students either have a masters in their chosen field or are
completing it concurrently with the program.

We would like to invite the members of MUSEUM-L to join us and send
in their thoughts on the subject. What do you look for when you
are hiring staff or, what did you find most useful when you were
looking for a job? Pointers from all areas of the museum profession
would be appreciated.

We will collect the answers for the career day and, possibly, print
some of them in our NYU/MSA newsletter for students, alumni and
friends of NYU/Museum Studies.

Please feel free to post your answers directly to me or, if you think
there would be interest, to the list. I would also be happy to
post a summary on the list.

Regards,

Robbin Murphy
Vice President, NYU/MSA