From:
Gail Kana Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:58:51 -0600
Colleagues,
Please a few moment s time and complete this survey and e-mail it back
to me.

Registrars and Collections Managers are frequently given the
responsibility of steering their museums through the litigious waters
surrounding the development and execution of exhibitions and
collections. How easily and confidently they arrive at their decisions
depends upon the support of their management who should help provide
them with the necessary tools to evaluate situations and call in legal
assistance when necessary. Granted some museums have legal counsel on
staff but what about those museums who don t.  How does the registrar
obtain the information - classes, workshops, books - necessary to make
these calls?

The information I gather from this survey will be evaluated and
presented at the AAM session  Museum Law: Legal Issues That Impact
Managerial Decisions , because of my experience, I am focusing my
remarks on collections and exhibitions.  It is my hope that the results
will reflect a broad spectrum of real legal issues facing today s
museums both large and small. Please take a few moments and answer the
following questions. Thank you for your help.

1.      What is the major legal issue that your museum faces or fears the
most?

1a.     Any litigations you care to share?

2.      What training have you received to help you make legal decisions?

2a.     Did the museum support these efforts?

3.      Where do you go for legal counsel?

4.      Please describe your museum.

5.      Your name and title (if you prefer to remain anonymous - I guess
that s hard with e-mail - let me know and the information will be
treated confidentially).

Thank you very much for your help.

Gail Kana Anderson
Assistant Director/Curator of Collections
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, The University of Oklahoma
410 W. Boyd St.
Norman, OK 73019
405.325.3272; Fax 405.325.7696