From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:20:23 -0500
Can it be done? Yes! The Pusey Library at Harvard is tucked 1/2
underground and has a planted plaza with a lawn, shrubs and walkways
above. It was built in 1976 and houses a map collection and a theater
collection. This is what is being called an "intensive" green roof as
opposed to an "extensive" green roof which uses a thin, lightweight,
growing medium.

Should it be done? It depends :)
Would you do this for energy savings? A light reflecting membrane
roof could also save energy.
Would you do this to control stormwater runoff? Stormwater runoff
could possibly be controlled at or below grade.
Would you do this to reduce the heat island effect, provide green
space and blend in with the beautiful landscape of Ithaca? It would
be very effective for this if you have weighed the risks.
What kind of collections do you have? Sculpture? Farm equipment? Fine
Art on paper? Would a possible leak that was difficult to locate pose
a major inconvenience or worse?
There is technology available now that can pinpoint a leak if it
happens but that will cost you extra. The added cost and risk would
weigh against a vegetated roof over a fine arts collection. Less so
over administrative offices, restaurants, museum store. I'd consider
an extensive roof before an intensive roof but it is al least worth
considering.

Mike

--
Michael McHugh AIA, LEED AP