From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:15:09 -0400
 I am qualified and skilled at doing this and I would probably want
12-15/hr at the least. or I would ask for a flat rate depending on the
number and types of garments to be mounted. It can be hard to predict the
shaping problems that can arise with some costumes, so estimating time can
be tricky.

I have never priced this skill for freelance, I may be undervaluing (or
over valuing) myself. i'm curious to hear other opinions.

I would recommend that you are very sure the person knows the silouettes
and costume of the time and how to handle them. If you have access to
mannequins or dress forms that are the right shape, consider using buckrum
to create the shape of the mount. It is much quicker and is safe once
covered with soft knit or muslin. It does not hurt the mannequin and for
corset shapes I would prefer it.

Elizabeth Walton
www.clothelinejournal.com
(P.S. I am available for freelance costume collection or research work in
the southeast) :)

At 09:51 AM 8/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a question regarding the going rate for a consultant in mannequin
>construction. What would be a reasonable per hour rate for carving and
>finishing ethafoam mannequins tailored to specific garments?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Astrida
>******************
>Astrida Schaeffer, Assistant Director