From:
"Bosher, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:59:51 +1000
Does anyone have any references for preparing an Information Policy for a
large museum?

We are trying to put something together which ties into our Mission
statement and recognises Information
as key resource which is generated by the organisation but then needs to be
managed  and 'cared for'
so that ongoing access can be provided.

There is an increasing requirement to base resourcing decisions on sound
'business cases' so we really need to get
nformation up there in the planning process and not just taken for granted.

Having a high level policy in place, one can then start to set real policy
for access including consideration of IP and moral rights etc.

There are a lot of 'Information Policies' around which are pretty low level
and mainly seem to talk about what people are allowed to do with their pc's.
We don't want this and want our information policy to be about information,
not necessarily about technology (although technology is clearly a key tool)

Any comments, help etc would be appreciated

(Please note that I have deliberately avoided discussion of data vs
information vs knowledge!)

Tim Bosher
Information Technology Services
Museum Victoria