From:
Eileen Diana Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 08:50:09 -0700
For some reason people who read my comment on user fees have decided that
I am a complete idiot and have no idea what is going on in the world in
which I
live. Well, I may be idealistic, but I am aware, that funding is being
cut, that cultural institutions of all sorts are facing serious crises,
and that most, yes even the Canadian public institutions, are charging
admission fees. I do visit museums regularly, I know I have to pay for
them. My comment was, however, that I do not happen to think I should
have to pay for them. They are already paid for in my taxes. And, as to
the point about non-Canadians having to pay, I think the discussion is
getting silly. But, I did not have to pay to visit the various compenent
museums of the US National institution, and I do not think that visitors
to my country should have to pay to see my national or provincial museums.
And ten
years ago, you didn't have to pay to visit the Canadian national museums
(at least, the Victoria Memorial Museum, which is now the Canadian Museum
of Civilization and costs some four or five dollars to visit). How long
it has been since you could get into the various provincial museums for
free I am not sure, but that was once a reality too.

My point is simply that in my opinion public institutions should not
charge admission fees. Separate fees for research done by the staff is
justifiable. But admission to a public museum, art gallery, library,
archives or whatever, is not. It's an opinion, and was never meant as a
a statement on what is currently happening.

Eileen Mak