From:
Bonnie Souliere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:22:49 -0600
My DEAR, DEAR Sue!!
Thank you SOOOO much for the information!!  I didn't get to read them all before I left but I'm bringing them with me.
THANKS AGAIN,
Bonnie

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/31/01 08:04AM >>>
A couple of months ago, I wrote to the list requesting guidance in making a
transition from the for-profit world of finance to the nonprofit world of
museums.  I received some very good advice and reassurance that this is
possible, and I thank all of you who responded.  I am currently
contemplating a position for which I am a bit over qualified, but believe
could be a good stepping stone.  The position is an Administrative
Assistant in the President's Office of a large museum (approx. $12 million
annual operating budget) and reports to the President's Assistant.  During
the interview, I enquired as to the growth opportunities and what previous
Administrative Assistants have gone on to do and was told that previously
no one had really had the skills to move into other areas and that I would
be welcome to involve myself in projects outside the normal realm of the
position as I saw fit.  Besides the normal typing, filing, and telephone
duties (which, like most people, I am not a super fan of - although I
believe that I can tolerate it), this position works fairly closely with
the trustees and heads of other museum departments.  Although I have not
yet been offered the position, I believe that my chances are above average.
To make matters a little more challenging, I will be relocating to the area
due to my husband's career and know practically no one in the area.  Would
this position be the stepping stone that I believe it could be, or am I
being overly optimistic?  Several months ago I purchased the Association of
Art Museum Directors 2000 Salary Survey, so I have a good idea of the
salary range of the  Assistant to the President in this size museum and
metropolitan area, but would appreciate any information on what a position
like this (assistant to the assistant) is currently making in a Natural
History Museum (because of the personal nature of this information, please
feel free to send this information off list).  I would like to thank
everyone in advance for what I know will be very enlightening advice:)

Crystal Baranowski