From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:11:41 -0400
The following alert was sent by FAX on Friday night.  Please contact me
at [log in to unmask] or Barry Szczesny at [log in to unmask] if you
have any questions.

To:     Museum Advocacy Team
From:   AAM Government Affairs
Date:   July 20, 1998

Re:     NEA Battle on House Floor Imminent:  Calls Needed ASAP!

        We expect floor debate in the House of Representatives to begin
early this week on the Interior Appropriations bill, which contains
funding for the Office of Museum Services (within the IMLS), the NEH,
and the NEA.  While funding for the OMS and NEH at levels about the same
as last year are safe, we are preparing for yet another House floor
fight over the NEA.

        Although the situation could change, we expect funding for the
NEA (currently $98 million in the bill - the same as last year) to be
stripped from the legislation on a procedural technicality.
Subsequently, we expect an amendment to be offered to restore the
funding.  The conventional wisdom is that there is enough support for
the agency in the House for such an amendment to pass, but the result is
by no means secure.  Several representatives have reported that they
have received about 500 calls and numerous telegrams opposing the agency
in recent days and not many in support.  That's why we need your help
now.

Please contact your Representative immediately by phone or fax and urge
him/her to:

1.      vote for at least $98 million for the NEA;

2.      oppose any amendments that would reduce funding for the agency
or divert more money to the states.

        You can reach the congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
In addition, many legislators are reachable via e-mail and you can
access the House via its web site: http://www.house.gov. Please call us
if you have any questions at (202) 289-9125.  Thank you.