From:
kathryn Tate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:55:36 -0800
As a recent graduate witth  BA degree, it has been
most rewarding and helpful to hear how some of you
have "broken into the museum profession".  I hope in
near future to pursue my graduate degree in either
musuem studies or public history.

My advice to young college undergrads, like myself,
starting out is to definatly make conncections either
through volunteering or interning.

My first internship was through the Historical Society
of Martin County in Fl where I was a curatorial and
educational intern learning the "inside scoop" of
museum work..There's a lot more to it than I knew.
Through this internship i created a photographic
journal of all my ongoing projects, which impressed
the History department chair, who was overseeing my
internship for college credit...She kept my journal
for a sememster and used it as a guideline for other
interns.

After a year of interning I was offered a paid
position at the museum...and i wasnt even graduate
from college yet.

The Historical Society ran a History museum and a
smaller Historic House of Refuge. ...which was run by
the Life-Saving Service.  It was my job to manage/run
the tiny historic house, gift shop and volunteers and
even to create some Living History weekend
programming.  I held that position for a year before
moving up north.

After moving up north, I gained employment at Waterloo
Village where I worked as a Historical Interpreter,
giving talks about  indigenous native american to
2nd-8th grade school groups.  I was also taken on as
the curatorial assitant as well.  I helped to
fabricated some of the exhibits, accession objects and
assist in the maintenance of some of the historic
houses.

What i am learning from my experiences  do not be
afraid to talk to people in the museum profession,
because those connections can help you get a foot in
the door.  It has worked for me and i am only 23.