From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:17:57 -0500
On 12/17/05, Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In answer to your question I would have to say that yes, it is right to
> 'whitewash' it. And it's important and sometimes difficult to separate what
> we have now learned and know as adults, from that which children will learn
> as they get. But if the info is inaccurate to begin with...that is not right
> to present this. And then we have to ask - what you are concerned about and
> are asking.

I have to agree with Pam. There are age appropriate ways to deal with
difficult subjects. Even young children can understand the basics of
why slavery was wrong and in their own way sympathise with the plight
of slaves. But do they need to see pictures of people being beated and
chained or starved to death? No. It will most likely give them
nightmares and completely overshadow the overall history lesson.

Case in point, in my opinion, Bambi is the most horrible movie ever
made. I saw it when I was 3 and the only thing I remember is that
Bambi's mother got shot and the forest burned down. I am over 30 and
to this day, hearing the theme song will put me in tears. The next
worst movie is Old Yeller. I saw that when I was older, probably
around 10 or so but again, Old Yeller gets shot. How awful is that?

People will argue that old fairy tales are equaly violent and the
original versions are but with a purpose. They were to teach kids how
to act and not to do stupid things like wander through the woods alone
or to treat their step-sibblings nicely.

There are ways of getting the message across without resorting to
traumatising children. We don't need to give them happy stories that
lead them to believe that all slaves escaped to freedom either but
there is a balance.

Has anyone seen the US Holocaust Museum's exhibit for children called
something like "Danie's Story"? It was supposed to be really good at
getting the point across to younger children without being as graphic
as the rest of the museum.

deb