From:
LK Hellrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:02:44 -0400
Mac,

Finding a museum job can be tough, especially if you are new to the area in
which you are searching.  Here are some things that I've found helpful
in my own job search:

--Check individual museum websites for job postings.  A lot of the larger
museums and some of smaller ones have sections for employment.

--Museum Resource Board: www.seeing2020.com/museums. Includes job postings
and free resume posting service.

--Museum Employment Resource Center: w3.trib.com/~jamesal/. Job postings and
a resume posting service.

--The Global Museum:  www.globalmuseum.org.  Good job listings for museums
all over the globe.

--Starting in November, the American Association of Museums will be putting
the job listings from AVISO on their website.  Their address is:
www.aam-us.org.

--Local museum associations:  I don't know if there is one for California,
but I would recommend joining any museum association that covers your area.
 They might have a publication that has employment opportunities or they
might keep resumes on file for their member institutions.

--Someone in California has created a list of websites for finding museum
employment and a great deal of the listings are for California institutions.
The site is: hometown.aol.com/wsomsel/jobresources.html

--Try the websites or the Human Resources Departments at local colleges and
universities.  Also, try the Chronicle of Higher Education online--they will
email you job postings in specific areas, including museums and historical
societies.

--Try to get informational interviews.  Even if they don't have any
openings, it is important to make connections.  As my dad always says, it is
all about who you know.

I hope that I haven't gone over old ground and that some of this will be
helpful.  Best of luck in your job search!

LK Hellrich

Museum-L" (without the quotes).