From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 22:35:55 -0700
I am having a one hell of a time with the American
generated press releases trying to sanitize what
happened by saying now "it's only a few dozen
artifacts."

Just because they have been able to recover countless
heretofore stolen/missing artifacts so that the number
"lost" to us all today is much less doesn't for a
minute negate the fact that, when the situation first
happened, there were thousands of pieces unaccounted
for.

I think, on many fronts, Americans (of which I am one)
were very embarrassed by what happened, and good old
fashioned American ego is trying to cover this up with
"yes, but."

Funny how they can find the lost artifacts, but nobody
has found the WMD that supposedly was the driver to
this war.

Lives that were lost and human beings that were
tortured are horrific things.  But the loss of
artifacts that have survived 4,000 years of wars and
were preserved for all to see will not be around for
the next 4,000 years (of wars because humans are so
unsophisticated in that regard no matter their country
of origin), and that is a genuine travesty.

I am embarrassed for these cover uppers!

--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Very interesting.  One report says only only 29
> artifacts were actually
> stolen (or was it 25?), yet this article says 700
> have been recovered.  There
> seem to be some discrepancies, to put it mildly.
>
> Yet the published pictures of smashed, empty exhibit
> cases and a litter of
> broken objects seem to tell a different story.  News
> stories such as this
> concentrate on the thefts.  How about the vandalism?
>  How much was destroyed,
> as opposed to what was stolen?
>
> David Haberstich

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414