From:
Susan Hazan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 18:09:35 +0200
Jonathan Bowen,
Department of Computer Science, The University of Reading, UK
wrote:

    "I would recommend that national museum organizations start to address
the problem of museum names on the Internet. For example, in the UK, the
Museums Documentation Association (MDA) could negotiate to manage a new UK
sub-domain such as "mus.uk","

What an excellent suggestion !!!  Although it has always been fascinating
to follow the different museums' partners, "edu", "org", "com" not to
mention the "ac.uk", "gov.uk", "co.uk".

As a museum is a museum, and should be reflected publically in it's domain
identity, this cerainly make sense to me. I will be happy to bring this to
our museum people in Israel.

Jonathan also wrote:

      "BTW, there was an article in the September issue of Wired magazine
about on-line museums, including a (positive!) mention of the
Virtual Library museums pages".

I should think so too !!!!

The museum page,of the virtual library has been my constant companion since
the days when all the museums fitted on one page and I was delighted to
discover recently the ICOM recognition on the page.

Jonathan's museum page became a focus of discussion at a CECA conference
last week in Vienna, an ICOM group that deals with education in museums
where we dealt with the intergration of new digital technologies in museums
and will no doubt be a future constant companion to all us
webmasters/mistresses and museum people as this fascinating branch of his
virtual library continues to explode.

I know that Jonathan must know (statically anyway), that there are A LOT of
people out there,using the v library every day but I just wanted to send a
public note of thanks from an appreciative museum person.

- Susan -

Susan Hazan                                   Tel:    972  2 6708066
Head of Multimedia Education Unit             Fax:    972  2 6708077
The Ruth Youth Wing                           Home:   972  2 6523686
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem                  Mobile: 972  50 442323
www.imj.org.il