From:
Michael Cogswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:37:56 -0500
Museum-L:

We are now working on the final design for the project to open the
Louis Armstrong House as a historic house museum.  We expect
from 15,000 to 20,000 visitors per year.  Some of the rooms have
wall-to-wall carpet; other rooms have unique vinyl flooring; one
hallway has oriental carpets.

Our consultants have recommended several approaches to
protecting our carpets and floors (including doing nothing and
replacing wall-to-wall carpets and vinyl floors when they
deteriorate).  We are considering storing the oriental carpets and
replacing them with similar carpets.

Can any of you recomend manufacturers or specifications for the
following items:

(1)  Mats for the entrance ways.  Something about 4 feet long.
These mats should be designed to remove and hold dirt.  Visitors
will be asked to wipe their feet.

(2)  Clear, vinyl runners.  These would cover all areas where visitors
will walk.  Is there such a product?  It should be inert (no
polyvinylchloride!), durable, and able to be installed without
damaging the carpet or floor underneath.

(3)  Pile carpet runners in neutral colors.  Can we just use our
carpet mechanic or is there a special carpet manufactured for this
purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Michael Cogswell