From:
Exhibitions Department <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:42:59 -0500
In general, if the media decides to put any credence in the individual's
accusations (who is, after all, a private individual since he is no longer
on your board), they will contact you for a response.  It may be clear to
all that this person has an axe to grind, in which case they won't believe
anything he says anyway.  Mean-spirited remarks tend to go unnoticed,
whereas plausible rumors are the things you need to watch out for.

We had a similar situation here, where a change of leadership resulted in
some very bad comments from former employees.  It made a semi-public splash,
with an appropriately measured response from the institution, and because
nobody overreacted it blew over fairly quickly with no long-term damage to
the institution in question.

So, don't ignore it:  prepare a response in case someone should come to you,
but don't go out of your way to "respond" to a situation that may not
actually exist beyond a small inner circle.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center