From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:06:30 EST
I would like to add a little information to what Lisa Palmer posted about
the US National Museum.  While the National Museum of Natural History
at the Smithsonian is essentially the modern descendant of the old USNM,
in the 1960's certain collections were split off to create what is now
called the National Museum of American History.  So today if you are
looking for the collections of the old USNM, they are essentially in
the National Museum of Natural History and the National Museum of
American History, with some also having gone to two other Smithsonian
Museums - the National Portrait Gallery and the National Museum of
American Art.  (Yes, Smithsonian people, I am aware this is a *very*
simplified version of a lot of history!)

* Felicia Pickering  Processing Laboratory  Department of Anthropology  *
* National Museum of Natural History  *****    Smithsonian Institution  *
* Internet:  [log in to unmask]  ***********  Bitnet:  mnhan063@sivm  *