From:
Jim Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:13:32 -0400
Thought I would start Monday off with a thought provoking and interesting
story. The historic site I work at unfortunately has no artifacts, with one
exception, to William Hancock, the English judge murdered in the house
during the winter George Washington was stationed with his troops at Valley
Forge. The exception is this, in the 1960's, Salem county New Jersey
decided it was time to purge and remove old court records from the
basement.While doing this a young man decided to take some home just for
the helluva it.In the 1970's his uncle became a Judge here in Salem County
and his nephew gave him these court records he had kept. The Judge realized
over time that these pieces of paper were from William Hancock. The judge
proceeded to have them preserved and mounted and they now hang in the main
entranceway to the house. These are the only direct pieces we now have to
Judge William Hancock. THank the Lord all the garbage wasnt thrown out.
Imagine if it had...... Have a wonderful week all....JIm