From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 07:37:39 -0700
Pam,

You have to first get a good idea of where all that dust is coming
from. If it is not from outside and due to some change that was
engendered by the recent construction in the building then you may
just be spreading the same dust around again and again.

First, as many of you well know, you should ALWAYS attempt to remove
all collections and to mask off significant parts of the interior if
construction has to take place within an historic building or museum.
And you should always make the clean up of non-collections surfaces
part of the contract with those doing the construction.

Now, most vacuuams will remove the larger and most visible grime and
lint. However they the smaller dust that can pass through the filter
gets shot right back into the room (Shop Vacs are the biggest
offenders). So I wouyld recommned using a HEPA vacuuam and seeing if
that doesn't knock down your dust problem.

If this dust problem is new or seems unusual or it comes back after
the cleaning then you have to find a source for it. If there is an
HVAC system in the building and this was worked on check that out. I
had the experience of moving into a brand new collections-conservation
building in which fiberglass rained down on us from the HVAC because
the contractor had not properly cleaned the ducts or taped down the
insulation in them. If there is no HVAC then look for what else may be
different - were windows and doors chan ged or worked on? Is there
weather stripping? Did something change in the attic with ventillation
or the basement? Get a complete list of what was done and investigate
all of the possibilities. If there are trees and shrubbery very close
to the building you may be getting a lot of pollen inside the building
- so check that too as a source.

Cheers!
Dave