From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:08:27 -0500
Hi all,

Sadly the director of Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness, the
historic house where I work, is leaving because her husband is getting
transferred. We have an immediate opening for the museum manager. The
pay isn't great, especially for the area, but it's a great place to
work and you can do practically anything you want.

Since the director/museum manager position is the only full-time
position, administrative skills and management experience are more
important than advanced degrees in history or museum studies. While
there is a fair amount of the "fun stuff" like leading tours, doing
school programs, doing historic research on the house and its
inhabitants, etc., the house makes most of its money by doing teas,
murder mysteries, and wedding rentals. I'm one of 3 part-time staff
members and we've got a small, but incredibly competent group of
volunteers that help out with programs so it's not like you have to
run the entire show yourself. But we do need someone who can pester
the phone company to fix the phone lines, call the heating guy to when
the 80 year-old furnace is on the fritz, paint the roadside signs,
make the bank deposits, clean the carriage harnesses, supervise the
garden club, etc.

I'm mentioning this not to scare people off but to give potential
applicants a little sobering up. If you want to be the head of a
glorious old historic house and manage a staff of 10, this is not the
job for you. If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, have a lot
of initiative, and don't mind occasionally pulling long hours, this
would be a great job. One big bonus is that since the house is run by
a private foundation, you aren't bound by the local historical society
or government bureaurcracy. The down side is that you even less money
to work with and an even smaller staff.

E-mail me if you want the full job announcement or more information
about the house and the job. The website for the house and the
foundation is:

http://www.poplarhillonhlk.com/

Please feel free to pass this along to any other lists or interested parties.

Deb