From:
"Jackson, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:57:13 +0000
K.O.,

Although your museum collecting policy may say otherwise, the letters would be better described and accessioned in an archival finding aid.  If your museum uses Past Perfect, it contains a module for doing that.  Manuscripts (such as historic letters) are not USUALLY numbered individually unless they are of some extreme importance.  They are usually described as a collection or series.  It would help to know more about your museum.  Although we are a relatively small museum (compared to the Met or the Smithsonian), we house several hundred feet of historic letters, photographs and other manuscripts.  We use a separate archives management system to provide finding aids for this material.  If you have such an archives, the letters probably belong there.  If not, you might want to consider whether you expect to collect more manuscripts and plan accordingly.  I'm happy to offer help if you'd like it.

Greg

Gregory A. Jackson, CA

Archivist, Bryn Athyn Historic District

Glencairn Museum