Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:24:55 -0700
This is suggestion or opinion only, and I will not assume any legal
responsibility for problems arising as a result of following the ideas
below.

Compact shelving lessons I have learned (first-hand or from peers):

-do use a recessed rail system rather than a false floor if possible
-do use a manual assist rather than electronic rolling system
-do use a handle that can be "cranked" rather than just spun (usually
through the use of rotating knobs at the ends of spokes)
-do place aisles perpendicular to lighting tracks (no dark aisles)
-do be aware of potential conflicts in space use when only one aisle
will be available in an area (so maybe break up large areas)
-do plan shelf opening sizes based on actual artifacts or containers (or
at least best estimates of averages)
-do bid competing manufacturers/suppliers/installers
-do be aware of potential track gap effects on cart or ladder wheels
(you want a small gap or a big wheel)

-don't make shelving too tall for the top shelves to be useful
-don't make aisles too long (it is harder to keep them moving straight)

--
Timothy L. Campbell
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8189