From:
Sandy Kaul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:59:34 -0400
>> On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Maija Sedzielarz wrote:
>> What is "new museology"?
>> Thanks.
>>
>I don't actually believe there is such a thing as a "New Museology" and
>I am familiar with Peter Vergo's book "The New Museology"(1989). To
>describe museological theory of the past as preoccupied with museum
>methods rather than museum purposes is grossly dismissive and I dare say
>inaccurate. Vergo's musings, however new or old or popular or not, are
>part of museology. There are far better and less pretentious ways of
>differentiating ones views from so called 'mob' thinking.
>What do we get next year? New New Museology or perhaps Super New
>Improved Museology? ;-)
>
>--
>Jennifer Nuske
>Deakin University,
>Melbourne, Australia.
>Email: [log in to unmask]

 My take on new museology is that it reflects a very inclusive approach to
museum work that addresses  the needs of rural communities that have no
access to museums.  My understanding is that these organizations, sometimes
referred to as ecomuseums or community museums, not only concern themselves
with a  community's arts and heritage, butwith a community's economic and
social development as well.  The upcoming workshop on new museology in
Mexico will be examining the "Contribution of New Museology to the
Sustainable Development of Communities."  In my opinion, AAM's publication
Excellence and Equity: The Public Dimension of Museums was very much
informed by the research and practice of those who were involved in new
museology activities during the 1970's and 1980's.  New museology  seems to
be a very compelling alternative approach to museum work and deserves, for
the time being anyway, a unique designation.