From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 15:34:09 EDT
 I know I've played this tune before and people get tired of it, but
I'll keep humming it until someone tries it. When you're seeking a
definition, why not try a dictionary? A visitor is one who visits, a
tourist is one who tours; if you don't know the difference between a
visit and a tour, look them up. The dictionary is a good place to start,
in my opinion, but beyond that, there's a ton of material available on
tourism, including museum tourism. There's a whole tourism industry out
there. A tourist can visit your museum and a visitor can tour your
museum. And don't forget that patrons can visit or patronize museums,
and museums can patronize visitors. Wonderful language, English. But you
do need an instruction manual to operate it. --David Haberstich