From:
Wendy Claire Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:14:55 -0100
Painting will help, but not completely.  Select a water-borne
polyurethane.  How much air circulation do you have in your storage
area?  If you have good air circulation and good air exchange between
the storage area with respect to the surrounding building, that will
help to keep the concentrations of any wood acids or plywood adhesives
that may be given off.

I also like your idea about lining the slots with blue-board.  This will
help protect against contact corrosion (the blue-board becomes a
sacrificial layer) as well as help to reduce abrasion and damage to the
frames.  I would place blue-board against the uprights and sides (can
you hot-glue it into place?) as well as on the bottom.

Good luck.

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.