From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:14:44 -0700
Beyond the recovery assistance this list can provide,
I am suggesting you consider donating to the relief
organizations if you can--if only $5.  Every little
bit helps.  I can tell you first hand that the Red
Cross site is very easy to use, and they send you a
receipt (I made my own contribution two days ago
before leaving for work knowing there was going to be
significant devastation).

Here are some sites to consider:

 American Red Cross

Phone: (800) 435-7669

Mail: P.O. Box 3726, Wichita, KS 67201

Web: www.redcross.org

• Catholic Charities USA

Phone: (800) 919-9338

Mail: Hurricane Katrina; P.O. Box 25168; Alexandria,
VA 22313-9788

Web: www.catholiccharitiesusa.org

• Church World Service

Phone: (800) 297-1516, ext. 222

Mail: Hurricane Katrina Response -- No. 6280; P.O. Box
968; Elkhart, IN 46515

Web: www.churchworldservice.org.

• Mennonite Disaster Service

Mail: 1018 Main St., Akron, PA 17501

Web: www.mds.mennonite.net/Home

• Salvation Army

Phone: (800) 725-2769

Mail: P.O. Box 4857; Jackson, MS 39296-4857

Web: www.salvationarmy.org

• United Way of America

Mail: P.O. Box 630568; Baltimore, MD 21263-0568

Web: www.unitedway.org

It's going to take a nation--and more--to help our
brothers and sisters in the affected areas of the US.

--- Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Eugene is absolutely right - the human toll of this
> disaster is only
> beginning to be understood. Search and rescue
> operations are really just
> beginning. Rescuers are actually pushing dead bodies
> out of the way in order
> to get to the survivors. Efforts to staunch the
> breach in two levees have
> failed and water continues to flow into New Orleans.
> With the additional
> rainwater swelling the Mississippi the situation
> will only worsen. Crime is
> a big concern, with rampant looting. Tempers are
> flaring in the shelters.
>
> The Mayor of New Orleans is now saying that he is
> worried that New Orleans
> will become another "Pompeii." That's a really
> chilling thought.
>
> I'm sure that in weeks and months to come the
> incredibly rich talent pool of
> this list will be able to assist in the clean up and
> restoration work to
> come.
>
> Becky Fitzgerald

Indigo Nights