Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:55:35 -0400
Hello everyone,

I just received the following information from the Public Conversations
Project and thought it would be of interest to all who are planning for
the one year mark of the tragic events. I had the honor of being one of
the facillitators for the "Listening to the City" Summit Meeting at the
Javits Center in NYC a few weeks ago which over 4000 New Yorkers
attended to voice their sentiments about the proposed six plans for the
rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. There were over 500 facillitators
representing all 50 states and seven countries. The New Yorkers there
expressed that they wanted to see a fitting memorial that is
inspirational  as well as restore lost jobs and rebuild the economy.
They also expressed that it was important that Lower Manhattan become a
lively, 24 hour community with housing and offering residents, workers
and visitors a mix of business, retail and cultural caiclities and open
space. My group wanted space that could host free concerts and other
acitivies to bring people together.   If you would like to read about it
there is a website http://www.listeningtothecity.org/

Below is information and links for putting together public conversations
around September 11.

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
Princeton NJ
-----
PUBLIC CONVERSATIONS

As we approach the first anniversary of the attacks on the Word Trade
Center and the Pentagon, we encourage you to consider hosting a
conversation for your friends, relatives, colleagues or neighbors.

This fall will be a poignant and precarious season.  We anticipate that
many people will welcome an opportunity to participate in a structured
and frank conversation about both the past year and what lies ahead:
to compare experiences, reflections, hopes, concerns and ideas
about how to better understand and contribute to our vulnerable and
volatile world.

Constructive Conversations about Challenging Times: A Guide for
Community Dialogue and its companion, A Guide for Family Dialogue.
Since then we have distributed more than 3,000 of these 40-page PDF
documents from our website,
http://www.publicconversations.org/pcp/index.asp.

These Guides were written to last. Their structure is based on a
decade of PCP's experience facilitating conversations about divisive
public issues.

To use the Guides for a September 11th anniversary conversation, you
need to modify only two elements: the recommended questions and
the wording of the invitation.  A menu of questions likely to stimulate
an engaging and constructive anniversary conversation is available on
our website at:
http://www.publicconversations.org/pcp/index.asp.

The Guides provide detailed "how to" information about planning and
facilitating a two-hour dialogue. I encourage you to learn how these
resources can support your hosting and conducting an enriching
conversation for members of one of your networks this fall.

We hope you that you will let us know what you do and how it goes, so
we can learn from your experience.

Sincerely,

Laura Chasin, Director