From:
Joseph Mella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:38:11 -0600
Some time ago I posted information on a traveling exhibit entitled
"Witness To Our Century: An Artistic Biography of Fritz Eichenberg." This
exhibition, the first comprehensive presentation with the cooperation of
the Fritz Eichenberg Trust, contains previously unexhibited works from
the artist's personal collection, including advertising posters from 1920
and politial cartoons from the twenties and thirties published in Berlin
and New York.

These early examples of Eichenberg's unique mixture of wit and compassion
are combined with his celebrated illustrations of classic literature,
poignant images published in "The Catholic Worker" and powerful
reinterpretations of the tales of Erasmus, Aesop, Grimmelhausen and "The
Dance of Death."

As we are continuing to book venues for this exhibit, the Eichenberg
Trust, in addition to loaning unique and rare works to the show, will
donate a selection of the artist's original wood engravings to each
participating institution. This special arrangement offers a significant
benefit to institutions that collect prints. (The retail value of each
portfolio of prints will be approximately equivilant to the fees paid by
each participating institution.)

If this sounds interesting, please e-mail me personally at the address
below, and I will provide you with more information.

Joseph S. Mella
Vanderbilt University Fine Arts Gallery
P.O. Box 1801 Station B
Nashville, TN 37235