From:
Jamilyn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:12:35 -0400
Please forgive cross postings.

Hi!
   As our summer camp program has grown we seem to have out grown our
previous staffing model. I'd love to see models of how other people staff
their summer camps(ie. do you use your own education staff , part-timers,
college students, intern, volunteers etc...). The staffing costs are
starting to eat up a larger portion of our revenue which therefore cuts into
our "profit". I'd love to get an idea of what percentage of revenue other
museums are able to keep as "profit" off their summer camp programs.
   We are a young museum so our summer camp program was growing but still
fairly small with about 130 slots on average a summer, taught primially by
education staff and a part-timer. So far this year I have seen a 230%
increase in registrations and by June expect to see that number go even
higher. I'm interested in everything from pay scales to number of hours a
week - feel free to contact me off list if you'd rather. It's obvious that I
need to look at models from larger programs to design one that will work for
us in this transitional year from a small program to a mid size one. I'd
appreciate any insights you may have.

Many thanks,

Jamilyn Cole
Camp Experiences Coordinator
Direct Phone: (919) 857-1062
Camps Hotline: (919) 857-1040
Fax: (919) 834-3516

For information on summer camps at Exploris, please visit
www.exploris.org/learn/camps/index.html
Exploris
201 E. Hargett
Raleigh, NC 27601
Discover the power of IMAX!
Exploris is the world's first interactive museum about the world dedicated
to engaging people in our changing and interconnected world. More
information can be found at www.exploris.org .