From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:08:32 -0400
Basically, the idea of strings attached to a donation is dangerous on a long
term basis. Of course, at first, visitors, board members and curatorial staff
might be thrilled to display an artifact/work of art that deemed valuable enough
to impose acquisition conditions.  However, in a few years,it will most likely
become an obstacle to new exhibition concepts or a reorientation on the
institutional mission.  Furthermore,what was considered so veluable should also
be protected and permanent exhibition will inevitably damage it.  So, although I
agree with Ross Weeks that institutional policies are binding, I would advise
you to present the situation in a way the board will understand: that of a sound
investment, which includes long-term benefits as well as short-term.

Hervé Gagnon
Director-curator
Colby-Curtis Museum
Stanstead (Québec)