From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:55:06 -0800
Anne Farrell writes:
>Another thought I've had on the subject of AAM's publications:  why not make
>AVISO more timely and current by having it on line?  The job listings, grant
>deadlines, news, etc. could be so useful; as it is now, there is at least a
>month to six weeks lag time between information and printing/distribution.
>
>Of course, this could put a dent in AAM's income stream, since so many join,
>I'd imagine, for access to AVISO and its listings.
(snip)

Great idea, Anne.

I hope someone from AAM is listening, or lurking.  I don't have my
membership card here, but it seems to me there is a member number on it.
It would be very easy for AAM to put Aviso online and to require an AAM
membership number as password for access to the site.  Having designed
serveral websites, I can tell you this would be very simple.  There might
have to be a small amount of special programming written that will link
their website to the database with member names and numbers.   Aviso is all
text, and probably already exists as a word-processing file.  It could be
transformed into a website in a couple of hours.

Then the accessibility and promptness of Aviso listings would encourage an
increase in their membership, not the other way around.

Stephen Nowlin
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design
http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/williamson.html