Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 21:25:10 PDT
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:07:13 GMT  J. McCrain wrote:
>[log in to unmask] (Jennifer Queree) wrote:
>
>>Our museum has just been told it's a bit of a party pooper in
frowning on
>flash photography in the exhibit areas.
>>Furthermore we are lead to believe it is almost the only museum in
the world
>where this practice is still enforced.
>

>You are not alone.  We do not allow any type of photography inside
our
>buildings.  This solves several problems.  The first and most
obvious
>is to control commercial use of our collections.  (We DO allow
>commercial photography, but they pay a nice fee.)  Second, it allows
>us to control any copywrite protected materials.  Third, and just as
>important as the other, it solves the problem of "flash"
photography,
>e.g. conservation.  (We have UV filters on all windows and light
>fixtures.)
>
>Don't let anyone tell you that you are "the only museum in the
world"
>that does not allow photography.  Some museums I have been in
actually
>ask you to leave your camera at the front desk!
>
>Hope this helps!
>

>Jim McCrain
>Chief Curator
>Old City Park
>Dallas, Texas

My reply would be precisely the same as Jim's.  Our policy exactly,
on each point. And yes, we ask visitors to check their cameras at the
front desk.

Every museum gets that same old line about "every other museum I've
ever visited allowed me to photograph."  Don't let it bother you. You
are armed with the knowledge that it's baloney.

amalyah keshet
director, visual resources, the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 08/08/96
visit our web site at http://www.imj.org.il