From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:13:04 -0500
     Well for one thing, if the item purchased at an auction house was
     later used for a charitable donation and the item was also appraised
     by the same auction house, the IRS would likely not accept the
     appraisal for proof of the items fair market value.  It could be seen
     as a conflict of interest for a dealer or auction house to appraise
     items that they also have an interest in selling.  To get around this
     many auction houses keep their appraisal businesses separate.  For
     example, Christie's auction house has Christie's Appraisals, Inc.
     which is a separate company.  For more information I recommend that
     you check out the IRS publications on charitable donations, including
     the publication on art and antique donations, the American Society of
     Appraiser's code of ethics and The Appraisal Foundation's Uniform
     Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).  The IRS
     documents you can find on the web.  You can contact ASA (headquartered
     in Herndon, VA) and The Appraisal Foundation (in Washington, DC) for
     the others.

     Laura McMann Mahoney

     I know this subject is not directly related to museum work, but I am
     working on a paper for a museum studies course. Does anyone know any
     guidelines related to the relationship between appraisers and auction
     houses? In general, what is the nature of this relationship? Any
     information available is appreciated. Thank you.