From:
Lisa Marcinkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:21:04 -0500
Howzit Julie,

We've been using "dress up" clothes and hats for school programs and
special events for years without any critter problems.  Washing them
regularly helps and we keep them packed away in a trunk between uses.
You can also pre-treat hats with anti-lice chemicals available on the
shelves in drugstores.  I think Rid has one and there are probably
others.  We spray them once or twice a year and that seems to do it.

Of course, you may have other insect issues specific to Hawaii.  Not
allowing food near the clothes will keep those humongous cockroaches
away, for one.  I would talk to someone at the Mission Houses Museum in
Honolulu, a living history site with period clothing.  They might have
more experience and insight.

Good luck and have fun with this!  People love trying on period clothes,
so the little bit of extra maintenance is worth it in the long run.
That reminds me, be prepared to make repairs on a regular basis as well.

Lisa Marcinkowski
Coordinator of Education
Hagley Museum & Library
P.O. Box 3630