From:
Jan Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 14:50:11 -0600
1) Yes, I read Robbin's NY Times summaries and like them.

2) No, I never go search out the articles (haven't yet, anyway).

3) If I wanted to find the articles, I could, since I work in a library.

4) KEY INFO: Would I pay for such a service?

    I have JUST NOW (like in the last five minutes) been called by a company
offering a news service scanning computer technology info.  Their product
is called "Heads Up."  You specify several key areas of interest, and each
morning by 8 a.m. you receive a one-page (awfully short, I thought) summary
of one or two-sentence summaries of articles/info in your specified areas
of interest.  Keep you "up to date," and if you desire a particular article
in full, you phone an 800 number and it's faxed to you "immediately."  (No
mention of copyright clearance.  They must have agreements in place.)

    Does this sound familiar?  Could this be Robbin disguising her voice
on my telephone?  By the way, the cost for the service is $29.95/month, but
they're offering a month's free service as an intro.

    I didn't sign up for the free month, but requested a brochure.  If
anyone's interested, I'll post the company name when the info arrives.

    Robbin, you may be onto something!  (Incidently, I asked the guy "why
fax instead of e-mail"--especially since their audience is computer jocks.
He mumbled something about that being a different division of the company
and still being developed.)  Interesting!  Jan

Jan Anderson
Utah State University
(801) 750-2672